This is a good place for young prosecutors to learn. Unlike in private practice, where little time is spent in court, prosecutors can go to court every day. You can acquire immediate trial experience that many private litigators must wait years to get.
Challenging work. Lots of responsibilities. Opportunities to build skills. The chance to serve.
The PPSC offers all this and more, including a mentoring program, advancement opportunities, awards and recognition, and security. But don't just take our word for it. Ask our employees and they'll tell you that the PPSC offers meaningful and fulfilling jobs for legal professionals and other people in many career specialties. You can read here to find out more about the PPSC work experience.
The best legal job ever. Bar none.
If you want to work on important cases, get courtroom experience, work on issues that are unique to the federal prosecution service, or just become a better lawyer, then this is the best legal job you'll ever have. As a legal professional, you'll benefit from the following opportunities:
- Build skills - The PPSC puts a high priority on the professional development of its prosecutors and agents. The School for Prosecutors was established to train junior and more experienced prosecutors on substantive and procedural criminal law matters and case management. Prosecutors also have the chance to network and exchange views and experiences each year through the annual Federal-Provincial-Territorial Conference.
- Advance your career - PPSC's legal stream enables lawyers to progress through their careers without necessarily being compelled to enter management. Many senior and general counsel positions exist, and offer an opportunity to recognize increased expertise and professional development. These positions provide an avenue of growth that runs parallel to the management stream. All told, lawyers can work their way through six practitioner levels, from articling student all the way up to senior general counsel.
- Gain court and trial experience - Many new prosecutors start out working on a significant number of drug cases, which includes preparing disclosure materials and files, interviewing witnesses, conducting summary conviction trials and prosecuting indictable offences. The PPSC also offers the opportunity to work on regulatory files-violations of federal statutes such as the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, the Income Tax Act, and the Election Act.
Senior prosecutors have a great deal of discretion in how cases are investigated and prosecuted. On a day-to-day basis, they are called on to make decisions about whether there is enough evidence to ensure a reasonable likelihood of conviction and if going to trial would serve the public interest. Working as a prosecutor can be a tremendously fulfilling career for people who want meaningful trial and court experience.
Benefits for all employees
The PPSC provides the following benefits to all its employees:
- Training and development - The PPSC prides itself on attracting the best and brightest individuals and is committed to enhancing the skills they may already have and supporting them as they develop new skills throughout their career. Our employees have access to a wide variety of learning opportunities and resources that support professional growth and development, including on-the-job training and workshops, work-related conferences, mentoring opportunities, and in-class and online courses.
- Comprehensive benefits - We provide a comprehensive range of benefits that help you now and in the future. For your needs today, we offer a generous package of health, insurance, and leave benefits, including three weeks of vacation leave for new employees. To help you plan for the future, we offer an excellent pension plan.
- Recognition for your contribution - Our national and local awards are designed so that everyone across the organization can recognize the efforts of individuals and teams who demonstrate the values that are key to our success. These awards support and reinforce PPSC's values of respect, integrity, excellence, and leadership, and recognize teamwork. The awards demonstrate that “
how” we do something is just as important as “
what” we do.
- An inclusive environment - One of our key values - respect - is a foundation for building an inclusive workforce. We recognize that in order to foster diversity we need and want to create a work environment where all employees can realize their full potential. The PPSC provides ongoing education, flexible work options, accommodation in the workplace, and a diverse workplace environment.
- A collaborative community - When you join the public service, you become part of a large community of like-minded professionals who want to make a difference through public service. Employees work with their counterparts in other federal, provincial, and territorial departments and agencies in a cooperative environment, sharing knowledge and experience and building relationships.
- Work-life balance - The PPSC provides a broad range of programs and activities to help employees manage commitments in their work and personal life. We offer a flexible work environment, generous arrangements for family-related absences, and access to a no-cost employee assistance program, which offers a range of services to support employee wellness.
Joining the PPSC
- If you are looking for a job worth doing, see our Current opportunities.
- Date modified: